At last! After a long, cold winter, spring is finally on our doorstep.
Time to take a much-deserved break from the books and welcome the new season with a little fun and frivolity.
And with no shortage of things to do in Springfield, we’re serving up an exciting smorgasbord of ideas for your own memorable Spring Break staycation – so you can leave the hassle of airport security and endless hours in the car to someone else.
Soak Up Springfield’s Great Outdoor Wonderland
One of the best things about calling Springfield home is that you don’t have to go far and wide to take a break from the hustle and bustle of city life. There are lots of places to escape to an oasis of natural wonder and simpler times — right here inside the city limits! If you know where to look, there are so many fun things to do in Springfield. (And a lot of them are free!)
- Make beautiful music at Harmony Park. Visitors of all ages can fill the springtime air with their own one-of-a-kind sonic expressions at this unique outdoor feature with whimsical instruments that love to be played and not just looked at. The Contrabass Chimes, Swirl and Piper all beckon residents and passers-by alike to join in and be heard.
- Revel in ag history with Frankentractor. Colorado artist Mark Cesark created this inventive design centering a 1938 Minneapolis Moline Tractor integrated with a motley assortment of objects that have overcome time, mother nature and even man himself. This latest addition to Farmers Park’s ever-growing collection of art calls to mind the rich agricultural history of the Ozarks.
- Connect with nature. Just a short hop, skip and a jump from Farmers Park, the Springfield Conservation Nature Center envelopes you in 80 acres of enchanting Ozarks forest, glade and prairie habitats. Explore over 3 miles of trails while encountering hundreds of species including deer, turkey, reptiles and amphibians.
- Unwind by the water at Lake Springfield Park. It’s the perfect spot for picnics, boating, fishing and hiking along nearly 160 acres of rolling parkland, trails, woods, bluffs and over a mile of scenic shoreline. The spacious Lake Springfield Boathouse seats 80 guests and plays host to weddings, birthday parties and other happy occasions. Popular trails at the park include the Lake Springfield Trail, James River Greenway Trail and Greater Ozarks Audubon Trail.
- Stroll Down Galloway Creek Greenway. The first trail in Missouri to be designated a National Recreation Trail by the National Park Service and American Trails, this scenic Greenway runs 5 miles from Pershing Middle School to the James River Bridge in Southeast Springfield. It takes explorers through historic Sequiota Park, the unique shops of Galloway Village and right to the doorstep of the Springfield Conservation Nature Center.
- Take a Trek on South Creek Greenway. Make friends with over 100 species of birds along this 7-mile National Recreation Trail running through Central Springfield from McDaniel Park until it connects with the Wilson’s Creek Greenway. Along the way, be sure and stop by Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Park, where you’ll happen upon the Gray-Campbell Farmstead, the oldest cabin in Springfield. The park is home to the whimsical Butterfly House, the serenity of the Mizumoto Japanese Stroll Garden, and Lake Drummond — named for Springfield women’s business pioneer Anne Drummond.
Savor Some Home-Grown Flavorful Fare
Is your appetite craving a break from the same-old same-old? Look no further than the delicious dining offerings at Farmers Park.
- Aviary Cafe. Wake up to the Best Brunch in Springfield. Discover the eclectic French-inspired dishes and delectable ingredients that have 417 readers coming back for more at Aviary Cafe. You can also dine on vitamin-packed salads, sumptuous entrees and sweet tooth-satisfying desserts for lunch and dinner, while sipping on unique drink creations.
- The Press Juice and Coffee Bar. Start your spring with a joyful infusion of sustainable nutrition amidst the calming ambience of this cozy little place in Southeast Springfield. Add a splash of refreshment with fresh-pressed juices. Get an energy boost from a menu of new age lattes. And nosh on hand-crafted sweet and savory food items sure to please any palate.
- Farmers Market of the Ozarks. Fresh goodness nourished by the time-honored traditions of local farmers. Artisan crafts made from homespun love. The homegrown sounds of local musicians wafting through the air. People come from all over to support the Ozarks economy and enjoy the taste of local eateries in this welcoming, laid-back atmosphere.
Get Spring Break-Ready with Fashion and Self-Care
What better way to shake off those winter doldrums than with some cutting-edge looks and healthy indulgences that’ll have you looking smart and brimming with confidence both inside and out.
- Staxx. Spring’s looking better than ever in all the new arrivals at Springfield’s contemporary fashion connection. Fill out your seasonal wardrobe with hot tops, cool bottoms, flirty dresses and fresh footwear. Top it all off with the perfect accessories and your own personality for an unforgettable look that’s unmistakably you.
- 5 Pound Apparel. March into spring by taking the 10×10 challenge all month long, and show the world your Springfield pride with unique t-shirts representing the best our beloved Queen City has to offer. 5 Pound Apparel has a variety of friendly fashions and accessories for men and women, plus souvenirs for all your pals — furry and otherwise.
- Dynamic DNA. Delve into your roots with Ancestry Testing. Get fit with DNA Fitness Testing. Plan your Farmers Park menu selections with DNA Nutrition Testing. Add beautiful new art to your wall — inspired by your own DNA!
- European Wax Center. Swimsuit time is almost here! Get that skin in sunshine shape with a trip to the European Wax Center — right here at Farmers Park in Springfield. Student discounts and other special offers await — just in time to maximize your warm-weather readiness.
- Hudson Hawk Barber & Shop. Sharpen up your spring at your traditional neighborhood barbershop. Come for good conversation, stay for the future of men’s grooming and say hello the longer days ahead with the cut or shave you need to look your best.
There’s no better way to put the spring back in your step than with a Springfield staycation!
More from the blog
Join Our Community
We’re growing a community of like-minded movers and doers. Want in? Be the first of your friends to know what’s up at Farmers Park every month.